Thursday, September 9, 2010

Priorities in Teaching

So, when I decided to start writing a blog, it sounded like a great idea. I will update it every other day, have lots of followers, give support to new teachers, blah, blah, blah! Well... As we can all see, that's not how this turned out. But, in not keeping up with my blog, I have realized that as a teacher, you lose sight of what your priorities really are in life. I find myself bringing work home, staying at work late or (dum, dum, dum) going on weekends, or checking my work e-mail constantly. This is unacceptable and I now realize that it might be a great idea to do more things for myself. For instance, keep up with my blog! I may not be able to update it every other day or have lots of followers but I think that I can provide support to new teachers and do what I set out to do with this blog. And, it is something that I can do for myself. As a teacher, I feel that your priorities need to be concretely set. What are they? Do they often change when hard times arise? If so, why? These are just some things that make you go "hmmmmmm"! This week, I plan to reassess my priorities in life and in my career. I'm not saying teaching should't be high up there, but just remember, there is probably a wonderful husband or great kids who would love to see their mom or dad before 6PM every night and without a computer tied to their hands or a phone attached to their ear. What do you think? Can your priorities change? I definitely think mine can. As always, when you are in the classroom or with those great kids... Teach with Paz!

1 comment: